The port had started out as a fishing cove and landing stage for agricultural produce, salt and lime from southwest Tenerife in 1523. At that time, the settlement consisted of four fishermen’s families, the founders of the modern town. However, the first wharf was not built until 1927 and the harbour was not officially declared a fishing port until 1964.
The modern infrastructure, situated in a natural bay protected from the prevailing NE trade winds was designed in 1969 and completed in 1974 and is now a state-governed port of general interest. 1974 was the year the first daily sea link was created with La Gomera, though Los Cristianos continued to function as a fishing harbour.